Elizabeth Queen of frocks - wedding dress named favourite outfit
The Queen's embellished wedding dress has been crowned the nation’s most desirable outfit worn by her majesty, over the past 60 years, according to Debenhams.
Known for her love of soft tailoring, subtle embellishment and coordinating accessories, The Queen has been setting trends of her own for decades.
With all eyes on her in her Jubilee year, high street retailer Debenhams asked 3,500* of its customers to vote on their favourite look from her years in the spotlight.
The beautiful wedding gown designed by Norman Hartnell, made of ivory duchess satin and decorated with around 10,000 white pearls, which she famously saved up ration cards to purchase the material needed to marry her prince charming in 1947, has won the hearts of her fans with nearly a quarter (24%) of Debenhams’ customers favouring this as her best outfit in her extensive wardrobe.
Following the trend for a floor length dress, the lace gown she wore whilst on a visit to Australia in 1954 was the second most desirable outfit in her collection receiving 14% of votes.
The blue powder dress and hat at the wedding of The Prince and Princess of Wales in 1981 completes the top three with 11% of customers preferring this outfit.
Russell Fish, Head of Design of Occasionwear for Debenhams said: “From primrose yellow day coats to large couture ballgowns, silk headscarves to dashing turbans, the Queen is a very particular style icon and someone who heralds British design to be proud of.
“During her 60 years on the throne her style has evolved but you can see a common sense of style through her wardrobe. In her Jubilee year, our customers look at her for fashion advice as we have seen “The Queen” effect with sales of long gloves, pearls, pastel clothing and classic headscarves all proving popular.” Concluded Fish.
Top 10 outfits worn by the Queen over the past 60 years are:
1. Princess Elizabeth in a stunning wedding dress with embellished train on her wedding day, 1947.
2. Queen Elizabeth II in an elegant floor length lace dress whilst on a visit to Australia, 1954.
3. Queen Elizabeth II in a powder blue dress and hat at the wedding of The Prince and Princess of Wales, 1981.
4. Queen Elizabeth II in a pea green coat and hat at the Royal Windsor Horse Show, circa 1980.
5. Queen Elizabeth II looked elegant in a fur lined coat and the Imperial Crown at the ceremonial State Opening of Parliament in London in 2002.
6. Queen Elizabeth II in buttercup yellow at the Royal Wedding 2011.
7. Queen Elizabeth II in a beige coat and hat with fur lined gloves at Sandhurst Military Academy in 2006.
8. The Queen in a pink cape and head scarf at The Royal Windsor Horse Show. -
9. Queen Elizabeth ll in a feathered fascinator at the wedding of Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly in 2008.
10. The Queen in a pillar box red coat and hat at the de-commissioning ceremony For Hmy Britannia.