Get your car summer-ready
With the summer months upon us, holidaymakers across the country will be trying to achieve that perfect ‘bikini-body’ before they jet off. And, with that in mind, road safety organisation, GEM is advising motorists to make sure they pay as much attention to their car as they do to themselves.
With a bit of TLC, every car can be looking and ‘feeling’ its best, so that’s why GEM has provided ten top tips to help achieve that summer-ready bodywork:
1. Pre-holiday diet: cut down any additional weight this summer. Shedding extra pounds from the car by clearing out the boot will help ensure it runs as economically as possible
2. Polish and paint: not just for fingers and toes, touch up any scratches with a paint job to restore the car’s natural colour
3. Dimple-free: get any dents or bumps removed from the bumper or other areas
4. Wax on, wax off: for an ultra-smooth finish give the car a luxurious wax treatment
5. Love the reflection: clean wing and rear view mirrors for clear visibility
6. Summer glow: polish the head lamps to maximise their effect and ensure they sparkle in the sun
7. Keep hydrated: make sure fluid levels are topped up; including oil, windscreen washer and brake fluids
8. Pack the essentials: holiday must-haves usually include sun cream and sunglasses, but, in the car, make sure there is water, a torch, high visibility jacket/ tabard and hazard triangle in case of a breakdown
9. Don’t forget the passports: when taking the car abroad this summer make sure all driver’s licence documents, as well as car tax and insurance documents, are valid and up to date
10. Fasten seatbelts: before setting off, make sure passengers, especially children and those sitting in the rear seats, are safely strapped in
David Williams MBE, CEO of GEM Motoring Assist, comments: “It is imperative that drivers look after their cars this summer to ensure they run smoothly throughout the holiday season. With lots of people opting to drive to a UK holiday destination, or to drive through Europe, it is so important to be fully prepared for the journey. We all want our summer holidays to be memorable for the right reasons.”
For more information on GEM’s great value breakdown cover policies visit the brand new website motoringassist.com.