Brits flock to the sun for August Bank Holiday
Brits looking to travel over the August Bank Holiday are going in search of sea, sand and culture. Cheapflights.co.uk, online deals publisher, has seen a huge increase in people searching for beach breaks over the August Bank Holiday period.
More than twice the number of people searched for flights over the bank holiday weekend (25-27 August) compared to the previous weekend. Moreover, nearly five times as many people searched for August bank holiday flights compare to searches for the weekend of 11-12 August.
“After a washout summer, the demand for Bank Holiday escapes is even higher. We’ve seen a surge in searches for post-Olympics holidays as Brits rush for their last chance to enjoy some sun and sand,” said Oonagh Shiel, travel expert at Cheapflights.
As well as beach holidays, European city breaks also proved popular with Barcelona, Amsterdam and Paris featuring in the top ten destinations searched for.
The top 10 most popular destinations visitors searched for over the August bank holiday weekend were:
1. Palma: Return flights from £93 per person
2. Malaga: Return flights from £161 per person
3. Alicante: Return flights from £209 per person
4. Barcelona: Return flights from £132 per person
5. Amsterdam: Return flights from £101 per person
6. Paris: Return flights from £69 per person
7. Dalaman: Return flights from £178 per person
8. Faro: Return flights from £335 per person
9. Ibiza: Return flights from £185 per person
10. Edinburgh: Return flights from £59 per person
Prices correct at time of publication.