Surf's Up - The most gadget-tastic beach hut in the UK
A beach hut in Beach Green, Shoreham has been designed by Virgin Media to be the most gadget-tastic seaside pad in the UK. The hut is packed with fifteen of the very latest devices making it the best-connected beach hut along UK shorelines, allowing beach lovers to surf the web as well as the waves outside.
Despite being only 10ft by 8ft in size with a 4ft porch, the hut includes everything from wind-powered lights to coffee makers and hi-fi systems, as well as some of the best digital and home entertainment services in the UK including Virgin Media’s TiVo service and ultrafast 100Mb broadband. The gadgets were individually selected by TV presenter and technology expert Suzi Perry, and were chosen on the basis of being the must-have items for sophisticated seaside living.
Suzi’s top five gadgets:
1. Bubblescope - The Bubblescope attaches to your smartphone and uses the BubblePix app to capture a seamless 360 degree snapshot that can then be shared simply to social networks using the Virgin Media Super Hub’s wireless power.
Suzi said: “This brilliant little British invention is such fun for the beach.”
2. Sonos Wireless Hi-fi System – A wireless sound system with impeccable sound quality, when teamed with the Super Hub’s Wi-Fi coverage, the system allows you to manage your music and play instantly off the web or use bespoke playlists.
Suzi said: “The sound quality is great, so if you’re having a beach party you could ask your guests to all come with their own list ready to go!
3. PAL+ and a guitar - The ‘Portable Audio Laboratory’ is a DAB radio with a difference, offering an endless battery life and a robust case.
Suzi said: “The battery life and tough surround are perfect for the beach and, with the guitar, it’s the perfect beach set-up… fire, BBQ, tunes!”
4. Samsung Smart TV with 3D technology – The focal point of any room, the Samsung Smart TV is ideal for catching up with TiVo’s great range of TV and on-demand programmes or multi-player gaming on the Xbox, whilst offering a superb HD picture and also 3D viewing.
Suzi said: “This TV is super slim and light, so is perfect for hanging on the wall and maximising space in our beach hut!”
5. Xbox Kinect – Revolutionary in gaming with its voice and movement control, the Kinect enhances everything from gaming to film watching.
Suzi said: “Pure unadulterated fun! By connecting your Kinect to the Super Hub’s Wi-Fi, you can even take on players around the world.”
Suzi Perry commented: “As more of us are embracing ‘stay-cations’, spending time at the beach has become an integral part of British family holidays. I think gadget-enhanced huts like this will become increasingly desirable as it means the whole family will be entertained; whether there’s rain or shine, or simply just to keep in touch with friends and family whilst away from home.
“Beach time to me is all about having fun and relaxing, but it’s reassuring to know that innovation in technology means you can enjoy the best in entertainment and connectivity even when spending time beside the seaside.”
Dale Barnes, director of advanced technology and innovation at Virgin Media, said: “At Virgin Media we are dedicated to creating world class digital services, whether it’s in the home, on the move or even on holiday. Our ‘gadget hut’ allows beach lovers to experience the seaside in a very modern way; surfers can watch for forecasts for the best waves, sun-worshipers can keep up with friends on social networks and families can catch up on their favourite TV shows when the sky turns grey.”