Five of the best winter holidays
As the nights draw in and the days get shorter, it is no wonder that many of us start to feel a little down, knowing that we won’t see the sun for another six months! Our lack of sunshine only makes us crave it even more and it should therefore be no surprise to hear that the UK has the highest occurrence of self-reported Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in the world.
The best way to get rid of that sinking feeling is by heading to the sun, so read on for some great winter holiday suggestions from Thomson and First Choice…
1. Avoid those winter blues – Even if you don’t suffer from SAD, our bodies crave vitamin D and being in the sun does make us feel better; so why not take a holiday to the sunshine state of Florida and pay a visit to what must surely be one of the happiest places on earth – the Walt Disney World Resort! Experience a whole host of thrills and spills with your family in the fairytale wonderland where every path leads to happily ever after. With between 7 and 10 hours of guaranteed sunshine every day, even in the winter, families can have fun all day long in Florida and explore the great beaches, shopping and endless entertainment.
First Choice offers seven night holidays in Florida staying self-catering at the 3 Sun Quality Inn International from £539 per person, based on two sharing, departing from London Gatwick on the 8th November 2009. For more information or to book this holiday go to firstchoice.co.uk/florida.
2. Go long haul – Winter in the UK is the perfect time to travel to faraway shores as the weather in far-flung destinations like Mexico is at its very finest. October to June is the best time to visit with constant sunshine and warm waters. Mexico is one of the best places in the world for surfing, scuba diving, body boarding, fishing and snorkelling. Take a tour and go back in time with a trip through an ancient civilization, or sate your shopping appetite by snapping up some local arts and crafts. Evenings are all about enticing restaurants and party passion and make Mexico a must for winter.
Thomson offers seven night holidays in Mexico at the 5T Sensatori Resort from £859 per person departing from London Gatwick airport on 17th November 2009. This price is based on two adults sharing a double room. It includes accommodation on a full board plus basis, flights, transfers and all taxes and charges. For more information or to book visit thomson.co.uk.
3. Short haul sun – The Canaries are always a popular choice for a winter holiday as the islands are renowned for their year-round sunshine. Tenerife, which is only a short flight away, makes an ideal choice for a last minute break with miles of beaches as well as a lively shopping scene and a buzzing nightlife.
Thomson offers seven night holidays in Tenerife at the 4T Villa Mandi from £255 per person departing from London Luton airport on 1st December 2009. This price is based on three adults sharing a one bedroom apartment. It includes accommodation on a self catering basis, flights, transfers and all taxes and charges. For more information or to book visit thomson.co.uk.
4. Take advantage of all inclusive deals – All inclusive holidays are a great way to take a holiday and budget in advance as all food, drinks and entertainment are included in the initial cost. There are lots of great last minute all inclusive deals to take advantage of this winter and for even greater value, travel to Egypt or Turkey and make the most of holidaying outside of the Eurozone.
First Choice offers seven night family holidays in Egypt staying all inclusive at the 4 Sun Holiday Village Red Sea from £965 per adult, £515 for the first child and £595 for the second child based on two adults and two children sharing, departing from London Gatwick on the 30th December 2009. For more information or to book this holiday go to firstchoice.co.uk/holidayvillage.
5. Have an outdoor adventure – There is no doubt that summer holidays are a firm favourite with many, however, for active adventure types, taking a winter holiday means that they can enjoy hiking, cycling and golf still in the sun, but without enduring the unbearable heat of scorching summer temperatures. Visit Cyprus this winter and experience the rich and diverse landscapes of hilly, countryside towns and traditional mountain villages. In particular, holidays in Paphos offer a great base for exploring the Akamas peninsula; a beautiful combination of spectacular gorges and rugged coastline with plenty of walking trails.
Thomson offers seven night holidays in Cyprus at the 4T Hotel Louis Imperial Beach from £365 per person departing from London Gatwick airport on 2nd December 2009. This price is based on two adults sharing and includes accommodation on a half board basis, flights, transfers and all taxes and charges. For more information or to book visit thomson.co.uk.