RSS Feed

Related Articles

Related Categories

Prepare for your Easter getaway

4th April 2011 Print

With Easter fast approaching, it is essential Brits heading off on holiday check they have the right cover in place to avoid potential holiday mishaps. Britain's number one comparison site,, offers top insurance tips for a smooth trip this Spring.

Travel Insurance

Whether holidaying at home or abroad, travel insurance is a necessity. Policies start from as little as £9 from Cheaper Travel Insurance which covers a family of four holidaying in the UK or any European destination for a week, and offers peace of mind in terms of cancellation cover, baggage cover and personal liability. 

Although the cheapest policy may not always be the best option, it is important to compare premiums to see what is included and whether it provides adequate cover for your trip. In light of recent announcements of further BA strikes, it is important to compare policies and look for protection from industrial action. It is also vital you have travel insurance in place before any dates of strikes are announced to ensure that you are covered should your holiday be affected by them.

Additionally, anyone travelling to the Channel Islands over the Easter break will find travel insurance is essential as NHS medical aid provided on the UK mainland doesn't apply when visiting the likes of Jersey and Guernsey. Without adequate travel insurance, any emergency medical treatment required would have to be paid for personally.

If you are venturing into Europe for your holiday you will need to take out a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card entitles the bearer to the same level of medical treatment as a resident of the country you are visiting either at a reduced rate or with out charge at all. It is a real benefit to ensure that you, and those travelling with you, have one of these cards before you travel.

Camping insurance

For those heading for the great outdoors, it's important to ensure all camping equipment is covered. Stand alone camping cover is available from £16 a year with E&L Insurance and covers equipment valued up to £10,000.

Bob Atkinson, travel insurance expert at said: "With family finances still being squeezed, it is vital Brits holidaying in the UK or abroad don't think going without travel insurance is a good cost cutting measure. Having travel insurance in place gives peace of mind that you're covered should any mishaps arise, so safeguard yourself and your family.

"Protecting expensive camping equipment should also be a priority. Tents can be left unguarded for hours at a time, so it's unwise to leave valuables lying around. Check with your provider about the terms and conditions of your home insurance policy to see if it covers you for possessions away from home, it may be something that you have to add to a standard policy so double check this with your insurer."

Breakdown cover

Many Brits will be hitting the roads this Easter, and with traffic likely over the busy Bank holidays, breakdown cover is a must to ensure you and your family make it to your destination with out a hitch. For example, people should check for added extras such as caravan cover (also see below), roadside assistance and onward travel. It is also important to consider provider's call out times - current averages range from up to 30 minutes to one hour for the UK. Prices are available from as little as £31 a year with for policies in the UK. If you are intending to drive to Europe over the Easter break European breakdown cover can cost around £54 for a standalone policy.

Caravan cover

Caravan enthusiasts who are planning to take their mobile home away with them this Easter can insure their caravan for as little as £88 a year with E&L Insurance. This offers protection of up to £1,250,000 public liability, £15,000 personal accident and driver cover.

Bob Atkinson continued: "There are no excuses for motorists not to take out a breakdown policy, if you are relying on your car to get you to your destination it makes sense to ensure you have a breakdown policy that will ensure you don't end up with a trip spent stuck at the side of the road. Cover starts as soon you register, so there is still time to purchase a policy to safeguard your Easter travels. A range of products are available offering competitive prices for motorists. We don't realise how much we depend on our cars until a breakdown happens, and not having adequate protection in place could mean your UK holiday comes to an early end.

"The same principle applies to insuring your caravan as you would your car, and some breakdown policies will include this cover as standard. If this is not the case, taking out separate insurance is a must just in case something happens to it, or the driver."

Bicycle cover

Action packed Brits planning to get in the saddle while enjoying a break away in the UK or Europe need to consider insurance for their bicycles. Most home insurance policies offer this as an add-on to your policy and this could cost as little as £97 with Bank of Scotland. Alternatively, if your bike is a particularly expensive model, a stand alone policy will offer more comprehensive protection. Insurance starts from £56 a year with AUA Insurance and would cover you for theft, loss and accidental damage, as well as up to £1,000,000 personal liability and £25,000 of legal expenses. If you are taking your bike abroad please ensure that any policy you have will provide you with cover while you're overseas including when your bike is in transit as well as when you're using it.

Bob Atkinson continued: "Insuring your bike is crucial and not something cycle enthusiasts should go without. Adding a bike onto your home contents insurance can be a cost effective option, but if you are unsure of the procedure, or have any queries on the level of cover offered, it's always worth double checking with your provider."