RSS Feed

Related Articles

Related Categories

Top 10 most popular vineyards according to British wine lovers

9th May 2013 Print

Whether your usual tipple of choice is a crisp Chenin Blanc or a robust Rioja, World Wine Week (6th - 14th May) offers a great reason to crack open a bottle of your favourite wine and get your taste buds tingling.

To offer inspiration for travellers looking to sample the experience of wine making first hand, travel search site, has unveiled the top 10 most popular wineries amongst Brits, following analysis of searches on its website. It reveals that vineyards located in southwest Europe are a real hit amongst wine enthusiasts, with wineries in Spain topping the poll and Portugal occupying positions two and three.

It appears that Europe is the region of choice for British wine lovers, as vineyards from this continent accounted for 80 per cent of the top 10, with California making up the remaining 20 per cent.

Suggestions on wines to sample and handy hotels for three of the top locations, as well as the full list of top 10 vineyards, can be found below.

Cims de Porrera – Catalonia, Spain
Each vineyard in this region sits on steep, rocky summits around 500 metres above the village of Porrera. The black slate soils, varying micro-climates and old vines ensure the production of exceptional quality wine.
Suggested wine: Solanes Barrica (2006)
Hotel suggestions: Terramina / Best Cambrils

Tedo River Vineyards – Douro Valley, Portugal
Duoro Valley lies in north western Portugal and is combed with golden vine-filled terraces and the tranquil River Douro that winds its way from the Atlantic. The wild vineyards in this region have been awarded Unesco World Heritage status and offer a selection of tours and tasting courses.
Suggested wine: A bottle of 20-year-old Tawny Port
Hotel suggestions: Aquapura Douro Valley / Delfim Douro Hotel

Kunde Estate Vineyards – Sonoma Country, California
This family run, 1,850 acre estate in the heart of the Sonoma Valley produces a selection of sustainably farmed wines from elegant, balanced reds to delicate, vibrant whites. With a variety of vineyard tours and a dedicated tasting room, this winery is the perfect destination for all wine enthusiasts.
Suggested wine: Kunde Sauvignon Blanc (2011)
Hotel suggestions: Best Western Plus Sonoma Valley Inn / Hyatt Vineyard Creek Hotel and Spa

1. Porrera Vineyards: Catalonia, Spain
2. Tedo River Vineyards: Douro Valley, Portugal
3. Taylor's Oporto/Gaia: Portugal
4. Weingut Juliuspital: Würzburg, Germany
5. Kunde Estate Vineyards: Sonoma County, California, United States
6. Robert Mondavi: Napa, California, California, United States
7. Villa Vignamaggio, Greve in Chianti: Tuscany, Italy
8. Castello Banfi: Tuscany, Italy
9. Baden Wurttemberg Vineyards: Württemberg, Germany
10. Lavaux Vineyards: Lavaux, Switzerland